[Fedora-xen] fc5 domU on rhel5 dom0

Robert Story rstory-l at 2006.revelstone.com
Sat Apr 21 06:17:11 UTC 2007

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 01:29:51 +0200 (CEST) Paul wrote:
PW> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007, Markus Armbruster wrote:
PW>
PW> > > So, the good news is that I got it working... the bad news seems to be that
PW> > > everytime I want to update the domU kernel, I have to install it, shut down
PW> > > the domU, loop mount domU, create custom initrd and reboot. Rinse and
PW> > > repeat for each fc5 domU. If anyone has a way that this can be done within the
PW> > > domU so I can automate it w/out having to go to the dom0, that would be great..
PW> >
PW> > I update my domUs by running rpm (actually yum) in the domU.  Works
PW> > fine for me.
PW>
PW> That only works for "xen aware" OS'es. It won't work to run FC/RHEL 3/4.

It doesn't seem to be working for me with fc5 either... It just so happened
that there was a fc5 kernel release (2312) yesterday or today, after I got
2307 up and running. I did the yum update in the domU, but after a domU
shutdown and xm create, the domU wouldn't come back up again. I don't remember
the details, but the procedure above got me back in business. I'll try to
remember to take note of what fails when the next update happens (If I haven't
moved that domain to fc6 by then).