[Fedora-xen] opensuse hvm under fc6?

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 09:09:24 UTC 2007

Tom Horsley wrote:
> I've been happily installing hvm's under fedora core 6 (x86_64),
> and then I got to opensuse 10.2 (also x86_64). When I try pointing
> virt-manager at the DVD image and installing with a big file
> for a virtual disk, the VM crashes almost immediately.
>
> Anyone seen this?
>
> It is just the blasphemy detector that triggers it? :-).

No, it also happens when installing suse on suse ;)

Problem is the graphical boot loader, it exercises some real-mode tricks
which work on real hardware but not in the vt real-mode emulation.

While one can argue it is xen bug sles10 got a workaround nevertheless,
it detects xen somehow and doesn't use the grapical screen then.  For
some obscure reason that patch didn't made it into opensuse 10.2 ...

Ok, what you can do:

(1) Try hold down shift at boot, that should turn off the graphical
     bootloader screen too.  Might be difficult as the window almost
     instantly disappears ...
(2) Grab kernel and initrd from boot/$arch/loader and boot them somehow
     (not involving a graphical bootloader ...)
(3) Do a paravirtual install instead
     (http://et.redhat.com/~kraxel/xen/suse-guest.html)
(4) Get an AMD machine (SVM has real-mode support for VMs in hardware
     and unlike VT don't suffer from incomplete-real-mode-emulation
     issues).

Oh, and btw: same story for kvm installs ...

HTH,
   Gerd