[Fedora-xen] rhel5 hvm constantly crashes.

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Apr 24 22:16:28 UTC 2007

I've got (so far) 5 different OS releases running as HVMs in near
identical VMs, all created by virt-manager with a file-backed disk
image, all x86_64, all running under x86_64 Fedora Core 6 Dom0
(Opteron system).

The rhel5 VM crashes (goes into 100% cpu usage, and becomes non
responsive) every few hours. I get the impression it might be
related to disk I/O, since it has also crashed doing things like
downloading the giant openoffice-core update rpm.

All the other VMs have been up since they were installed, many
happily doing big I/O like beagle-build-index, makewhatis, etc.

Anyone know of a specific problem with rhel5 and qemu disks?
Or any other problem that makes rhel5 hate running as a VM?

The last time it crashed, I tried to do a shutdown from virt-manager
and it wouldn't go away. Now it is showing up as a Zombie VM
(great, VMs can get zombified, just like processes :-).

Is rebooting the Dom0 the only way to clear a zombie VM?