[Fedora-xen] Gnome and virt-manager

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Mon Apr 30 22:14:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:29:54 +0100
"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 09:50:09AM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > OK, what is it that virt-manager needs from a Gnome session?
> > If I point DISPLAY at a plain X session just running fvwm
> > without the 47 gnome daemons and panels and other bling,
> > a window flashes up quicker than the eye can see, then
> > disappears.
> >
> > What the heck is it depending on from the gnome session?
>
> Take a look in $HOME/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log  It shouldn't have a hard
> dependancy on the GNOME stack. The only bits we use as the gnome-keyring
> for storing VNC passwords, and the GNOME help system. Neither should cause
> it exit upon startup - we merely disable those bitsof functionality if the
> depenendancies are missing.
>
> Dan.

It is weirder than I first assumed. If I point it at a display which
isn't running any window manager at all, I get the bare windows and
they function fine. If I point it at a display with fvmw running,
then the windows don't come up (or stay up, anyway). It acts like there
is some window property fvwm is interpreting to mean "hide this window
utterly". The virt-manager process is, in fact, still running, but the
window is nowhere to be seen. The log file you mention is completely
empty. I better see if anyone on the fvwm mailing list knows what
is happening :-).