[Fedora-xen] RE: Upgrading Xen machines

Formoso, Travis Travis.Formoso at blueslate.net
Wed Aug 8 12:55:32 UTC 2007

OK I am back from vacation and have started up this project again. I am taking old xen images from Fedora Core 4 and upgrading them to 7 on a new server. Here is what I have done so far and have run into a problem.

I installed Fedora Core 7 on the new server and has new xen and kernel. I transferred the old images and files from the old server to the new one.

I then went in to the old config file - and changed the kernel from FC4 to the new vmlinuz FC7. I then created a new initrd with xenblk with the following command: mkinitrd -v -f --with=ext3 --with=xenblk /boot/initrd-2.6.20-2925.13.fc7xen.img 2.6.20-2925.13.fc7-1xen. I put that in the config file under ramdisk.

Now when I run the command xm create -c xmconfig I get this:

Using config file "./xmconfig".
Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

I looked at the archives and tried many suggestions, however none of them have worked -

Anything else I could do to get by this error?

> yes,

> you also need to create a new initrd for domU's with xenblk module.

> OK I am going to install Fedora Core 7 on the new server (it has 6 now).
>
> I will install the latest Xen 3.1 and the *13* kernel.
>
> After that I will transfer all the stuff from the older server to the new
> one.
>
> Then do I go into the xmconfig and change the kernel name? So here is the
> xmconfig for the sec-int-dns vm.
>
> # Kernel image file.
> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4xenU"
>
> Do I go and switch that line to kernel = (new xen kernel)?
>
> I am trying to understand that part - thanks for all your help!

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of
Blue Slate Solutions and the intended recipient(s) and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
copies of the original message. Any unauthorized review, use,
or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.