[Fedora-xen] Fedora 7 - missing dummy interfaces

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 22:09:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 02:02:48PM -0700, David Mueller wrote:
> Per,
>
> Ok.  I was hoping there was something realatively straightforward to change.
>
> I've also been working on a new approach to use KVM with Fedora 7.
> I've been able to use Revisor to create a custom Install CD image and
> used that with virt-manager to create a virtual machine.  However,
> I've run into a wall with virt-manager's insistance on using only
> private IP address space.  Your suggestion to dump the result to xml
> and modify that seems like it might work, except I can't get virsh to
> work:

virt-manager will happily use bridging for KVM guests if you setup your
host so that its physical interfaces are part of a bridge. There's a
guide here:

http://watzmann.net/blog/index.php/2007/04/27/networking_with_kvm_and_libvirt

Basically we recommend bridging (configured in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts)
for machines with permanent wired ethernet connections. We recommend the NAT
based virtual networking for machines with dynamic connections (eg Networkmanager)
or using wireless / VPN / dialup.

Dan.