[Fedora-xen] Xen, QEMU/KVM or Vmware ?

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 08:37:58 UTC 2007

  Hi,

> Coupled with that: is the virtual machine manager going to work
> properly with QEMU/KVM one day, or are the developers all assuming
> we'll go for Xen? And if the latter, when might we get an Xen kernel
> that's uptodate?

I'm using qemu/kvm all day long on my laptop, works fine for me.  There
are a few shortcomings tough.  You can't configure virtual serial and
parallel ports yet via libvirt for example.  Also not all options are
available in the virt-manager GUI, so you'll have to hand-edit the xml
config files from time to time.

One very useful thing not visible in the gui is the emulator binary
path.  You can have that point to qemu for one and to kvm for another VM
and have them both run libvirt-managed side-by-side.  You can also point
it to some wrapper script to sneak in some parameters into the qemu
command line for options not (yet) supported by libvirt.

So it isn't (yet) as comforable as vmware, but works well enougth for my
needs.

cheers,
  Gerd