[Fedora-xen] Guest Image File Size

Sadique Puthen sputhenp at redhat.com
Sat Dec 1 15:31:14 UTC 2007

Aaron Metzger wrote:
> virt-install has a checkbox which suggests that you can avoid
> preallocating the entire guest image size -- that the guest image file
> will grow on demand.
>
> Does this work for Xen or is it only supported for KVM and the QEMU
> COW files?

yes, this works fine on xen.

> My experience when creating Xen guests as regular files is that I end
> up with a file that is the full size even when I pick the option to
> not preallocate the entire image.

Basically it if you don't pre-allocate the entire image, virt-manager
creates a sparse file to store the guest data which only occupies disk
blocks while you write contents to that sparse file . When checking the
size of the pre-allocated and sparse images, you should use "du", not
"ls -lh".

--Sadique