[Fedora-xen] xen-unstable => 3.2, binary packages

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 14:36:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 12:01:27PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> We hope to be releasing upstream Xen 3.2 soon.  As you'll know, we've
> been in the habit of producing binary packages for our releases,
> including for Fedora.
>
> It seemed to me that the best approach would be, where possible, to
> use a distro's own packaging setup.  That would be more likely to
> generate packages which integrate well with the distro and behave more
> like the distro's own Xen packaging arrangements.

Personally I don't see the point in XenSource generating RPMs for Fedora
since we already generate them ourselves, and it creates confusion about
which RPMs should be used on Fedora. We will be syncing Fedora 9 (aka
rawhide) to Xen 3.2.0 release candidates this week, with the plan that
F 9 will ship the 3.2.0 hypervisor and userspace. That said I guess you
may wish to generate  3.2.0 packages for old Fedora 7 and 8 releases,
since we intend to keep the official Fedora packages for those release
on the 3.1.x tree.

For kernel side of things it is more complex  in F9 world....

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvops
  http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2007-November/msg00106.html

> I haven't looked at the FC6 srpm in detail yet but what would you
> think about it if we were to generate our 3.2 binary rpms based on
> that ?

FC6 is dead, so skip that. Each Fedora release evolves the packaging to
some degree, so for each release you intend to build binary packages for
you should look at the corresponding src.rpm. This will help ensure that
your packages integrate cleanly with each particular release. Current
live supported releases are F7 and F8, and latest dev tree is F9.

CVS for the Xen userspace package is here:

  http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/xen/

While the kernel + hypervisor live here:

  http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/kernel-xen-2.6/

In F9 the kernel bit will be changing - the hypervisor will likely move out
into its own package - possibly part of the the main 'xen' package - its
undecided at this stage.

Regards,
Dan.