[Fedora-xen] Single User Mode

Boin, Paul (Cont, ARL/CISD) paul.boin at arl.army.mil
Wed Dec 19 16:17:40 UTC 2007

I'm testing some kickstarts on xen.  Everything's OK, but I'm stuck on one part.
  I've researched my question well, and I'm just not getting one piece.

The pw set during install is intentionally bogus.  I now want to go to my grub
menu, go single-user and set it via 'passwd'. ( Which we typically do on
non-virtual installations. )

On RHEL, where I have much more experience, I can just "xm create -c mydomain"
to get an immediate attach and see the grub menu.

It looks like this newer xen/libvirt on FC8 is setup to use virsh, and it has
the XML configs over in /var/lib/xend/domains/, etc.

So, how do I get to the grub menu using virsh, since xm seems to want to work
with plaintext configs in /etc/xen, which I do not have?  Or, how would you
suggest I change the bogus root pw, that no one knows?

Thanks and have a fine day.

# rpm -q xen
xen-3.1.0-13.fc8
# rpm -q libvirt