[Fedora-xen] kvm crash on f8

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 27 13:21:34 UTC 2007

Avi Kivity wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>>>>
>>> Can you capture a screenshot of the BSOD?  Maybe some info there.
>>>

>> This is not the same BSOD I had earlier.
>> http://debian.merseine.nu/bsod.png
>
> This one is due to the -no-acpi switch being passed to qemu, while the
> guest really wants ACPI.  Don't pass -no-acpi, but do look at
> http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/Windows_ACPI_Workaround.

the f7 key works for that.

>> I think this is:
>> http://debian.merseine.nu/bsod0.png
>>

> This is a corrupted disk, or perhaps the IDE driver is not installed
> correctly.

the disk is fine, I can boot it natively. The hardware emulation in qemu
is very old (circa Pentium Pro CPUs). It's possible (probable, do I
remember LBA supports 120 Gbytes? wasn't there an earlier max of 32
Gbytes?) the disk (320 Gbytes) is larger than the emulation supports.

It's also possible that Windows is picking up garbage device geometry.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait