[Fedora-xen] Re: DomU boot on Fedora 6 fails with 'no root found' error.

K T Ligesh ligesh at lxlabs.com
Thu Feb 1 23:53:50 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 12:37:38PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 08:15:23PM -0800, master at bradleyland.com wrote:
> > The problem comes about when you update the kernel with yum. In my
> > experience (like all good lessons, learned the hard way), the initrd is
> > created on the fly and does not include xenblk. You cannot just take the
> > initrd that ends up in the /boot directory and use it for your guest.
> > Doesn't work.
> >
> > Now I know this, it's an easy matter to create a fresh initrd and include
> > the xenblk module. Maybe there's a smarter way to do this. If so, it
> > escapes me.
>
> The smarter way is to keep the kernel & initrd / RPM installed inside the
> guest OS itself.

 This is not acceptable, since the guests are basically tar files that are unaware of the existance of xen. They are pre-created ostemplates from jailtime.org and it is the duty of the host to provide transparent virtualization. Also just think of the scale. It is always better to get ONE host working properly rather than to makes sure that 200 guest ostemplates are all kept in sync.

 thanks.