[Fedora-xen] Problem renaming Logical Volumes

Daniel Tuijnman daniel at velotype.nl
Mon Feb 19 00:51:07 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Sorry if this is not really a Xen problem, but it is something which you
wouldn't want to do if you were not playing with virtual machines...

I had one small VM set up to use as a base for other (paravirtualized) VM's.
(both dom0 and the domU's in question are Fedora Core 6 installs).
I gave it a LV, say /dev/VG_domU/base, as its (only) disk /dev/xvda, and
partitioned it during install as follows:
/dev/xvda1   /boot filesystem
/dev/xvda2   PV for VG VG_base, with LV's
             swap for swap
			 root as / filesystem
which is the way I usually partition my Linux installs (except that I
usually create LV's for /usr, /var, /tmp, /home etc.)

Then in dom0, I created another LV /dev/VG_domU/derived, did a dd from
/dev/VG_domU/base to /dev/VG_domU/derived, et voila, I have another VM.
But this other VM has on its disk a VG with the same name, so I wanted to
rename the VG: you never know if you want to access both VG's at the same
time.

So I used kpartx to make it visible:
# kpartx -a /dev/VG_domU/derived
# vgscan
# vgrename /dev/VG_base /VG_derived

Then, of course, the name of the VG are mentioned a number of times:
- in /boot/grub/grub.conf the name of the root partition
- in /etc/fstab
- and in /init on /boot/initrd...img

But after that, the cloned VM with the renamed VG wouldn't boot - kernel
panic.

Does someone has an idea what I'm missing here?

Greetings,
Daniel

--
Daniël Tuijnman                     phone:  +31-24-377.7329
De Voorstenkamp 19-59               mobile: +31-6-4611.4589