[Fedora-xen] Particular domU boots before anyother domU on the same host

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 14:04:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 04:52:31PM +0500, Asrai khn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering how to make sure that a particular domU boots before anyother
> domU on the same host. For example this particular domU providing some samba
> shares to other domU. Apparently if the dom0 reboots we have to 'mount' the
> shares  on  some domU(s) which boots before  domU which providing these
> shares.

The xendomains  init script which is responsible for starting domains at
boot time is pretty simplisitic. It simply does a wildcard on the files in
/etc/xen/auto/*  or saved VMs in /var/lib/xen/save/* so domains will get
started in alphabetical order based on their name. You shouldn't rely on
this  behaviour though, because the way domains are autostarted has changed
in Xen 3.0.4  which will be in Fedora 7 and I can't guarentee the startup
ordering will be the same

So if you want to ensure domains start ina  particular order, I'd not use
the xendomains script at all. Instead just put a bunch of 'xm create'
statements in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to follow your desired ordering exactly.

Regards,
Dan.