[Fedora-xen] Re: gui console unavailable after upgrade

Robert Thiem junk at remcc.org
Sat Feb 24 05:20:28 UTC 2007

> I am just learning how to use xen.
> I installed a fc6 virtual machine and everything went okay. After the
> install I was able to start the virtual machine and use the gui console to
> log in.
> I don't see any new entries in the xend-debug.log

I had a similar problem that's mysteriously rectified itself today.

Anyway, when you have a guest running you should see (on the host, Dom0):

[root at lair6 ~]# netstat -antp | grep xen
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:5900              0.0.0.0:*
 LISTEN      4350/xen-vncfb
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:5900              127.0.0.1:36614
 ESTABLISHED 4350/xen-vncfb
[root at lair6 ~]# netstat -antp | grep python
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:36614             127.0.0.1:5900
 ESTABLISHED 4555/python

This is (I believe) the xen virtual framebuffer serving on port 5900 and
the client python console connecting to it (if a console is running).
Checking that this xen-vncfb is running on the host is a good start. I'm
pretty sure that it wasn't when my console wasn't working, but you might
not be having the same issue.

In case my checking today actually did something here's what I can
remember doing since it wasn't working.

yum update
Reboot with SELinux in permissive mode (which didn't show up anything
obviously wrong audit wise, but the console was working)
Reboot with SELinux in enforcing mode (console still working)

Robert Thiem