[Fedora-xen] xen and fc6 x86_64

Henk Altena altenah at hccnet.nl
Tue Feb 27 18:18:01 UTC 2007

Hello everybody,

I have two problems with xen and fc6 on a x86_64 AMD.

The first problem:
When I install on a new HD fc6 x86_64 WITH the program group VM then my
pc is refusing to boot.
The boot process stops with the message: udev and then hangs.
   After the above procedure I installed FC6 x86-64 WITHOUT xen. The
machine boots normal. Now I install all the xen packages.
At boot time I can choose now between the xen kernel and the 'normal'
kernel.
BUT when I make the xen kernel the default boot option the machine hangs
again. So I make the 'normal' kernel the default which it was by
default. Now I can boot both kernels without problems.
So when the xen kernel is the default boot option or the only boot
option the machine refuses to boot. Why ?

My second problem is how to create a VM image:
In this list I used the advice from Chris Tyler on booting from a
network source in this case http.
My URL is: http://192.168.0.1/FC_5, which is the ip adres of my FC_6-xen
installation.
The startup works ok  untill the following error: "error: failed to
retrieve FC_5/Fedora/base/stage2.img"
I disabled SElinux. I can browse the dvd with Firefox.

When I use nfs as a source as Adrian Revill pointed out  I end up with
the error: "That directory could not be mounted from the server" While
the setup starts fine it seems to me the nfs setup is correct so there
must be another problem ?

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance !

Henk