[Fedora-xen] virt-install "ERROR: CD device must exist"

Mike Julier majulier at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 3 20:30:26 UTC 2007

I am:

New to Linux

New to Xen

Working with new(er) motherboard (intel DG965SS).

When running virt-install I get to the "what would you like to use for the
virtual CD image?" question I get "ERROR:  CD device must exist!"

I have tried answering the question with:

- nfs:192168.1.2:/tmp/LinuxInstallTree   <-- a directory with the contents
of the install DVD

- nfs:192.168.1.2:/tmp/LinuxInstallDisk  <-- a directory containing the .iso
file of the install DVD

- nfs:192.168.1.2:/tmp/LinuxInstallDisk/FC_6.x86_64.DVD.iso   <-- the .iso
file itself

When I did the original install of the host (Dom0) I had to use the "linux
all-generic-ide" command/option because of some sort of issue where the
install script could not see the CD drive once it was ready to start
actually installing.  Unfortunately I have no idea if the CD error is saying
that I haven't done something correctly on the host OS or if the install of
the guest is barfing or obviously about to barf so the script is killing it
early.  I can't see the CD drive when running either the .fc6 or .fc6xen
kernels.  (I'm under the impression that would be hoping for too much given
my inexperience and newness of the mobo.)

Thanks for any help.  Please feel free to ask any clarifying questions.