[Fedora-xen] treating logical volumes as physical drives

Justin Wickett justin.wickett at duke.edu
Sat Jan 6 05:27:17 UTC 2007

I decided to go with my third approach and ended up installing FC5 on
an ext3 formatted logical volume within my LVM partition containing
my host OS (FC6) and specified a FC5 xen PAE-supported kernel in my
xen config file. The kernel seemed to load without any problems when
I tried creating the xen config file while in FC6, but panicked since
I failed to "append a correct "root=" boot option". From the console
view, I noticed that my kernel command line was  "root=/dev/hda2/dev/
VolGroup00/xm_fc5_001_lv ro 4", which obviously doesn't make any
sense. I followed the basic install for FC6, with the addition of
creating multiple logical volumes within my LVM partition. What would
be the correct string to set the root variable found inside of the
xen config files as?

Here are the last couple of lines I get while in console view before
the kernel panics...

md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.
VFS: Cannot open root device "hda2/dev/VolGroup00/xm_fc5_001_lv" or
unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
block(0,0)

More of my system information can be viewed at http://www.duke.edu/
~jyw2/xenerrors.html

Justin Wickett