[Fedora-xen] Xen status for FC7

Frank Morane info at vsic.net
Sun Jul 1 15:29:00 UTC 2007

Mike wrote:
> Frank Morane wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just did a fresh install of FC7 to see if xen would work out of the box.
>> Dom0 boots (with errors in the log - see below) and some Centos 4.4 domU
>> boots but are unseable (after recompiling the initrd image with the xen
>> driver preloaded) up to the famous long lasting error message "4gb seg
>> fixup". At that point it is dead
>>
>> My question: what id the status of Xen for Fc7? Will it ever fly?
>> Is there a Linux distro that works out of the box ?
>>

> Hmm. I'm running a F7 dom0 with the following domUs: NetBSD 3.1, FC6,
> F7, and a very shaky Solaris 10 b44.
>
> Xen 3.1 + F7 seems rock solid.
>

>> The last usable version I saw was for FC5 as of May 2006, after that all
>> version were badly broken and never fixed, I tested ALL of them for
>> fc5/fc6 and not a single one worked as published. Only home brewed
>> compiled version would work after weeks of trial and error.
>>
>> Here what the log says from my out of the box install:
>>

> Are you sure you're not missing the domU's console? I noticed that with
> at least the FC6 and F7 domUs, the boot output starts on the serial
> console, then transfers to the graphical console. I'm not familiar with
> the Centos domU's behavior, but it might be something to check.

Hi,

Ok I did add the console as explained in another post BUT it did not
solve the issue:

I added this line in /etc/inittab

# Required by Xen
co:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty console

I still can't get a console BUT I can access via ssh the booted domU;
then I saw nash using 95% of the cpu and I killed it.

The problem is that this is far from what I want since I cannot access
the domU via a console, when I try I get these:

printk: 185 messages suppressed.
4gb seg fixup, process ntpd (pid 1230), cs:ip 73:008ac17a
printk: 17121 messages suppressed.
4gb seg fixup, process ntpd (pid 1230), cs:ip 73:008ac17a
printk: 183 messages suppressed.
4gb seg fixup, process ntpd (pid 1230), cs:ip 73:008ac17a

and yes I have the "hwcap 0 nosegneg" in /etc/ld.so.conf.
There is critical information missing to get older generation (Centos 4)
domU booting on late FC5, FC6 and FC7.

Anyway, any additional hints will be appreciated.

Regards,

--
Frank Morane (Free Thinker)
http://www.adventuresinlegalland.com