[Fedora-xen] VCPU number configuration

Jason Kohles email at jasonkohles.com
Mon Jul 2 15:10:44 UTC 2007

On Jul 2, 2007, at 10:48 AM, Songtao Liu wrote:

> Hi
>
> as when I installed the XenU I initialized the VCPU=1, is it
> possible to change VCPU=2
>
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6xen #1 SMP Sun Mar
> 4 16:59:41 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> As far as I know from help, it seems impossible, see the last
> paragraph. But I dont want to install a new guest :(
>
>        vcpu-set domain-id vcpu-count
>            Enables the vcpu-count virtual CPUs for the domain in
> question.  Like mem-set, this command can only allocate up to the
> maximum
>            virtual CPU count configured at boot for the domain.
>
>            If the vcpu-count is smaller than the current number of
> active VCPUs, the highest number VCPUs will be hotplug removed.
> This may
>            be important for pinning purposes.
>
>            Attempting to set the VCPUs to a number larger than the
> initially configured VCPU count is an error.  Trying to set VCPUs
> to < 1
>            will be quietly ignored.

vcpu-set is for changing the number of vcpus while the guest is
running (using hotplug support), if you change it in the
configuration while the guest is shut down, then this doesn't apply.
You don't have to install a new guest, you just have to reboot.

--
Jason Kohles
email at jasonkohles.com
http://www.jasonkohles.com/
"A witty saying proves nothing."  -- Voltaire