[Fedora-xen] How to shutdown a hvm guest gracefully?

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at web.de
Fri Jul 6 07:43:34 UTC 2007

Hi,

sometimes I forget to shutdown my hvm guests before restarting the host machine.
I want to prevent this/automatically shutdown the guests gracefully (as if I
typed 'poweroff' on the guest's console)

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstartFC6:
 > To gracefully power off a guest use:
 > # virsh shutdown <virtual machine (name | id | uuid)>

On my FC6 (x86_64) machine this is only works for pv guests. Unfortunately, I
use several hvm guests (e.g. 32 bit guests for FC{5,6,7} which can not be run
under the current 64 bit xen in FC7 - AFAIK).

However, all these guests are linux machines which can be powered off by sending
"Ctrl+Alt+Del". Is there any possibility to gracefully shut down linux hvm guests?

fs