[Fedora-xen] Re: easy way to configure domU

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Wed Jul 18 16:47:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 11:28 -0400, Asrai khn wrote:
> Hi I am wondering is there an easy way to configure domU (vm) quickly,
> atm we are using eg LV (Logical Volumes) to storge root, var and swap
> for VM and then using disk = [ 'phy:vg/myvmdisk1,sda1,w', ... ,...  ]
> to launch it.
>
> We takes the tar gunzip of file system of root, var of currently
> running vm and when need arrives we just have to created  LVs and
> untar the achieves and launch the new vm with very little changes.
>
> Only one problem in this approach is that we get little outdated vm
> which need to update using 'yum'. So is there a way to start new vm
> fast and using currently updated running vm file system?
>
> Thanks. Askar.

You could use LVM snapshots. They're copy-on-write, so they can be
created quickly. Of course, if you start a new VM on a snapshot of a
running VM, then the filesystem will not be clean (it will look as
though it was from a system that was turned off without being shutdown).

--
Chris Tyler
http://dailypackage.fedorabook.com/