[Fedora-xen] Re: easy way to configure domU

Bill Jenkins bjenkins at cait.org
Thu Jul 19 01:37:09 UTC 2007

  We are probably talking about the same thing.  We have lots of multiprocessor machines that we like to set up identically.  In the case of the latest machines, that means I take one virtual machine, set it up like I like it with LDAP, directory mounts, perl scripts, etc, and then clone that one seven times with dd.  As I copy, I boot them into single-user mode and change the hostname and ip, and once over with, I've got eight identical machines, other than hostname and ip.  Some of the perl stuff is pretty tedious, so it saves a lot of time.

I've found that if I do an "xm create virtualmachinename -c" from the command line, I'll get the normal startup sequence, and then I can enter single user mode and change the ip and such.  Sometimes it seems like the command-line console doesn't work, so instead I run virt-manager and get a console window that way.  But unless something messed up with dd, I always get a console somewhere.  I will mention that I usually stop domains before dd-ing them; I have made good copies of domains while they were running, but sometimes it messes them up...is what I've described what you'd like to accomplish?  I've used the procedure to clone probably 50 or so domains.  The developers sometimes want a different OS to run apps on, so I just go and re-copy a fresh OS when they do.  Oh by the way, I've experimented with dd-ing domains through gzip into a file, and restoring from a file, which works sometimes.

  Bill Jenkins
  CAIT,Western Illinois University