No UDP? - was Re: [Fedora-xen] Re: easy way to configure domU

Hope Dundas suhopdu at umich.edu
Thu Jul 19 15:08:45 UTC 2007

Hi Bill, thanks for writing back. :)

My odd problem seems to be that I can get nearly everything working on the
new, cloned box except for DNS. And in particular, DNS over UDP - I can
use dig +tcp to force resolution over TCP, but it otherwise just hangs
thusly:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> @x.x.x.x domain.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
[root at hsg-vdev ~]#

nslookup behaves the same way. Has anyone else seen this? This is the
second clone I've taken of the original box (which has never had any
issues with DNS). I'm doing a lot of looking via google, and have seen
many references to bad udp checksums, but when I run tcpdump -nvvi eth0
port 53 it shows the checksums as OK.

Aside:
Because we're using full virtualization (RHEL5, x86_64), the console isn't
available by default (needs to be conf'd in grub.conf prior to boot), I
wasn't able to access it that way, and so the first boot was to normal
runlevel - I couldn't figure out how to make the freshly-created machine
boot to single user.

I did stop the source machine before doing the dd of it, and got a
randomly generated uuid and MAC address.

If anyone has seen this behavior before and knows of a fix, please let me
know.

Many thanks,

 	Hope Dundas