[Fedora-xen] network io load

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Tue Jul 24 14:02:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 02:05:28PM +0200, Tadeas Mengler wrote:
> Thanks for the reply at first.
>
> You can see it in htop utility. The load comes from kernelspace.
> The symptoms are simillar to those:
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-06/msg00625.html

What's the process causing the load / cpu-usage?

> The speed of for example of coping data across network is very slow
> even on gigabit network (about 3 mbit/s), while domU is extremly slow
> and unresponsive (all of the tasks).

Is the network performance slow to begin with, or after some time? If after
some time, what causes it to get slow?

Is network slow from dom0 to the network?

Is network slow between dom0 and domU ?

What NIC do you have?

What software are you using to test the network performance?

Have you tried iperf? both tcp and udp-mode? Do you see packet loss with udp?

Do you have any errors in logs/dmesg? both dom0 and domU? how about in "xm
log" or "xm dmesg" ?

Do you have any custom settings or xen scheduling parameters (domain
weights) set?

Are you using (the default) bridged networking setup with xen? Or a custom
one?

> The hw varies, mostly supermicro servers, various cpus (different
> intels and amds), various ram , mostly sw raid. The disks are sas, sata.
>
> The distribution is centos5 with recent updates and current kernel from
> the distribution.

Ok, it should be fine then. I don't see such problems with my hardware and
the same hypervisor/kernels.

-- Pasi

--

                                   ^