[Fedora-xen] How is network bridging for Xen handled in F7?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 17:23:57 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 06:58:31PM +0200, Christian Reiter wrote:
> Hi!
>

> Can anybody tell me where i can find docs about handling network bridges for xen domUs in Fedora 7?
>
> Something changed since FC6, so i cannot figure out how to create simple bridges without dhcp for my xen domUs.

Previously there was a xen module called 'netloop' in use. So if you used
network-bridge, you'd get 4 interfaces

  peth0    - physical device
  xenbr0   - bridge device
  vif0.0   - backend of virtual device
  eth0     - frontend of virtual device

peth0 & vif0.0 would be part of xenbr0

In F7, use of netloop is removed to simplify dom0 config so you only get
two interfaces

  peth0  - physical device
  eth0   - bridge device

And peth0 is part of the eth0 bridge.

In both cases, eth0 wouldbe the device that gets the IP addr.

> All what i want is:
> xenbrINTERNET should bridge to eth1
> xenbrLAN      should bridge to eth0

Calling the bridge xenbrXXXX is deprecated, since we're moving towards a Dom0
config which is able to be the same for both Xen and KVM. Hence we have the
generic peth0 & eth0  devices now. That's a minor naming detail though. You
should be able to call network-bridge multiple times - once per device you
have, just as with Fc6. Alternatively setup briding using the regular init
scripts as per section 2 in this doc

http://watzmann.net/blog/index.php/2007/04/27/networking_with_kvm_and_libvirt

Dan.