[Fedora-xen] can't create domU after failed install

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Fri Jun 15 02:55:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 03:22 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > virt-install -n pbx -r 256 --vcpus=1 -m 00:16:3E:66:94:5D --vnc krs -p
>
> What is this 'krs' arg you're providing                         ^^^^^^ ?

That's me being gay.  I thought I could specify an argument to "--vnc"
to get the vnc connection on my local desktop (I ssh'ed to the dom0
machine to start a remote install).  Eventually I figured out what the
--vnc option was for, and removed the "krs" (my laptop's hostname).

> BTW, you can use    --file /dev/vg00/asterisk     to specify the disk
> on the command line.

Yep - started to do that after reading the man page again.

> > There was a "pbx" config file in /etc/xen, but even after deleting it, I
> > get the same error when I try to recreate the domU.
>
> Try  'virsh undefine pbx' to ensure all trace is removed.

Is that in the man page?  Anyway, I noticed that the pbx domU was
actually running - that is, the install had started, but since I had
ssh'ed to the dom0 machine, DISPLAY wasn't set.  So, the vnc session
couldn't start.  It was waiting for me to connect to "localhost:5900".

I destroyed the pbx domU, forwarded vnc ports over ssh, restarted the
install, and connected to "localhost:5900" on my laptop.  I proceeded
with the install at that point.  Yeah!

Only hang up: the graphical install failed, which forced me to do a text
install via the vnc session.  I'm not sure why that happened.  Any
ideas?

Regards,

Ranbir

--