[Fedora-xen] virt-manager and guest config file

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sun Jun 17 16:13:56 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 01:53:49AM -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

> > > I just tried this, and it didn't work.  I had to "undefine" the guest
> > > before I could define it again:
> > >

> > Hmm, it should work... what do you mean by "it didn't work?" Error message?
>
> Here's what happens:
>
> 1. I do a a xml dump of the domU:
>
> [root at xenmaster xen]# virsh dumpxml asterisk > guest.xml
> libvir: error : failed to read configuration file /etc/xen/guest.xml
>
> Though there's an error, guest.xml is created and looks okay.

Were you in the /etc/xen directory when you ran that command ? It looks
like you were since it mentions /etc/xen/guest.xml

Basically /etc/xen should only ever contain the master Xen config files.
Never create any other type of files in there. In this case the guest.xml
file is getting parsed as if it were a Xen config file & thus you see the
error.

> 2. I try  to define the domU with the xml file I just dumped (after editing the RAM parameters):
>
> [root at xenmaster xen]# virsh define guest.xml
> libvir: error : configuration file syntax error: expecting a name
> libvir: Xen Daemon error : internal error domain with name already exists
> error: Failed to define domain from guest.xml
>
> I check domU config file, and nothing has changed: the define really did fail.

That's a bug. If you update to the recently released 0.2.3 libvirt RPMs
it should be fixed. We pushed them to Fedora last week IIRC, although
its possible they're still only in updates-testing.

With the new version you should be able to define the VM, without first
having to undefine it.

Dan.