[Fedora-xen] Removing PAE support in kernel-xen

Johan De Wit johan.dewit at external.thalesaleniaspace.com
Mon Jun 18 06:13:27 UTC 2007

Hi,

Seems I,m a litle bit closer now.
I can now start the installation process using virt-manager.

I tried to update the installation kernel-xen RPMS in the installation
tree wuith the nopae version.  Installation then hangs on the preparing
installation - could take some tiem" screen.  (left it running
overnight.)  The quest consules cpu, and netstat reviels a lot of http
traffic.

Before i did the update, installation did work, except after the reboot,
the PAE kernel is installed with the obvious result that the guest
aborts.

Did this on both CentOS5.0 and FC7

Suspecting i did something wrong updatuing the installation tree.
(- Replacing the RPMS
 - Ran createrepo
 --> seems soemthing else needs to be done also. Need to google for it)
)

removing the PAE support in the <documetnroot>/<distro>images/xen :

cp /boot/vmlnuz-nopae  /images/xen/vmlinuz

Modify the initrd modules:

mkdir /tmp/image
cd /tmp/image
gzip -cd <documentroot>/<distro>/i386/images/xen/initrd.img | cpio -imd
--quiet
cd modules
mkdir modimage
cd modimage
gzip -cd ../modules.cgz | cpio -imd --quiet
!! we have the pae enabled kernel modules here.

mkdir 'uname -r' (eg 2.6.20-2925.9.nopae.fc7xen)
cd 'uname -r'
mkdir i686
cd i686
for i in ../../2.6.20-2925.9.fc7xen/i686/*; do
find /lib/modules/2.6.20-2925.9.nopae.fc7xen -name `basename $i` -exec
cp {} . \; ; done

Copy the pae disabled kernelmodules !

cd ../..
rm pae anabled kernelmodules

find . |cpio --quiet -c -o | gzip -9 -n > ../modules.cgz
cd ..
rm -rf modimages
find . |cpio --quiet -c -o | gzip -9 -n >
<documentroot>/<distro>/i386/images/xen/initrd.img

cleanup

Sorry for the mess. I will put it in some proper text later on.

Wish me luck

Johan