[Fedora-xen] virt-install on FC7 gives errors - why ?

Ian Brown ianbrn at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 10:44:36 UTC 2007

Helllo,

1) I had installed FC7 on x86_64 machine; I am running the default FC7
Xen domain 0
on it. I tried to install FC7 guest (also x86_64) by virt-install. This guest
should be paravirualized (I don't have support for full virtualization on this
CPU).

What I did was:
virt-install -b --vcpus=1 -n guset4 -r 256 -s 4 -f
/mnt/sda5/xenguest/guest4 -l http://192.168.0.131/ftp/ -p --nographics

on http://192.168.0.131/ftp/ there is the FC7 installation tree ; This machines
runs an apache http server.

What I see on the screen is:
Starting install...
libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:
libvir: error : configuration file syntax error: expecting a name
libvir: error : configuration file syntax error: expecting a name
libvir: error : configuration file syntax error: expecting a name
Retrieving Fedora...                                            491 kB 00:00
Retrieving vmlinuz...     100% |=========================| 1.8 MB    00:01
Retrieving initrd.img...  100% |=========================| 5.4 MB    00:01
libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:
Creating storage file...  100% |=========================| 4.0 GB    00:00

>From where do these libvir errors come ? What should I do to avoid
them (eventually
the guest ** is not ** created).? about which configuration file is
this error message?

2)
A second question: from running "virt-install --help" I see that
I can choose -b (for bridging) optionally with a bridge name. I can
also choose -w NETWORK for connecting to a nic.

My question is: must I add "-b" or "-w" ? or is there some default behaviour if
I don't select any of these options?

Regards,
Ian