[Fedora-xen] Problem Installing Fedora 7 as a Guest on Xen machine

Mike mc-al34luc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 19 15:52:09 UTC 2007

Samad, Alex wrote:
> Hi
>
> Resending message not sure if it made through the first time
>

> Hi
> I have run into a problem installing fedora 7 as a guest on a Xen machine.
> The host machine is a amd64 - Debian lenny install. Running 2.6.20-1-xen-amd64
> xm info
> host                   : debxen
> release                : 2.6.20-1-xen-amd64
> version                : #1 SMP Tue Apr 24 22:23:22 UTC 2007
> machine                : x86_64
> nr_cpus                : 4
> nr_nodes               : 1
> sockets_per_node       : 2
> cores_per_socket       : 2
> threads_per_core       : 1
> cpu_mhz                : 2800
> hw_caps                : 178bfbff:ebd3fbff:00000000:00000010:00002001:00000000:0000001f
> total_memory           : 8191
> free_memory            : 1
> xen_major              : 3
> xen_minor              : 0
> xen_extra              : .3-1
> xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 hvm-3.0-x86_32 hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
> xen_pagesize           : 4096
> platform_params        : virt_start=0xffff800000000000
> xen_changeset          : Tue Oct 17 22:09:52 2006 +0100
> cc_compiler            : gcc version 4.1.2 20061028 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-19)
> cc_compile_by          : ultrotter
> cc_compile_domain      : debian.org
> cc_compile_date        : Fri Nov  3 00:21:27 CET 2006
> xend_config_format     : 2
> I have downloaded the fedora 7 DVD, I have extracted the xen vmlinuz and zen initrd.img
> This is my fedora7.cfg
> #
> #  Kernel + memory size
> #
> kernel      = '/etc/xen/data/fedora7/vmlinuz'
> ramdisk     = '/etc/xen/data/fedora7/initrd.img'
> memory      = '1024'
> extra           = 'pnpacpi=off sync_console vnc vncpassword=qwerty text vncconnect=16.144.29.11'
> #bootloader     = '/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/bin/pygrub'
>
> #
> #  Disk device(s).
> #
> disk        = [ 'phy:vglocal/fedora7-disk,xvda,w' ]
>
> #
> #  Hostname
> #
> name        = 'fedora7'
> #
> #  Networking
> #
> dhcp        = 'dhcp'
> #vif         = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
> vif         = [ '' ]
> #
> #  Behaviour
> #
> on_poweroff = 'destroy'
> on_reboot   = 'restart'
> on_crash    = 'restart'
>
> serial = "pty"
> localtime = 0
> vcpus = 2
> [...]

Hi Alex,

It *is* working. I ran into this myself with F7, and it took me a bit to
figure out what was going on. Your console has been redirected to the
graphical console from the serial console at that point in the guest
boot process. Here's what to do:

1) Fire up virt-manager in dom-0. You'll see your guest running (xm and
virsh will show it as blocked). From the 'view' menu, select the
graphical console and you'll get your guest's login screen.

2) In order to have the output of your guest appear in both consoles,
add the following to your guest's kernel line in grub.conf:

console=tty console=xvc0,9600n8

Now you'll see all the output in both the text and the graphical console.

Note that you'll also need to edit /etc/securetty and add 'xvc0', and
check /etc/inittab and make sure you have a line like:

co:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty xvc0 9600 vt100-nav

as well.

Good luck.

Mike