[Fedora-xen] 32 bit F7 HVM hangs under 64 bit F6 host

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Jun 19 22:02:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:27:41 +0100
"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> > kernel. Any attempt to boot any F7 kernel I've tried gets far enough
> > to print:
> >
> > PCI: PIIX3: Enabling Passive Release on 0000:00:01.0
> >
> > then it is hung in the same ol 100% cpu usage state.
> >
> > Anyone know what is happening right there (or right after there)?
>
> The GA  baremetal kernel was screwed up with last minute dynamic tick
> patches which make it impossible to boot under Xen HVM.
>
> > Any good kernel boot parameters to try?
>
> Use the paravirt kernel instead.

Does that mean just run the kernel-xen in the HVM? Or does it
mean do a paravirt install of F7? (The paravirt install is
kinda difficult with the FC6 host still being xen 3.0.3 and
64 bit 3.0.3 not knowing how to talk down to a 32 bit VM :-).

Though running the FC6 kernel seems to work OK for now. Eventually
I imagine a new kernel will show up on F7 that actually works,
so perhaps I'll just wait for that.