Re: [Fedora-xen] Can't find CDROM after installing Win2k

Songtao Liu songtao.liu at mytum.de
Sun Jun 24 15:09:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have also encountered this problem before in Fedora6 :) but I use Windows
image, not CD, here is my steps, maybe will give you some hints

1. Open the VM and do it via wizard step by step.
2. After the Virtual Machine Console pops up, install the OS as normal
installation.
3. When the system says to press F6, make sure to Press F5 and select
"standard PC" and continue.
4. Choose to format the C:\ partition in FAT file system format because Linux
isn't compatible with NTFS kernel modules(in fact it works). Mounting or
writing files to Xen guest image may not be as straight-forward if you were to
format in NTFS.
5. After reboot, we should fix the WinXP image in order to avoid the coming
problem by installation.
#losetup -f
#losetup /dev/loop0 /xen/winxp
#kpartx -av /dev/loop0
#mount /dev/mapper/loop0p1 /mnt/winxp
#mount /WinXPimage/winxp.iso /mnt/tmp/
#cp -prv /mnt/tmp/I386 /mnt/winxp
#umount /mnt/winxp
#umount /mnt/tmp/
6. Restart the guest OS with 'xm create winxp'. When the 'file needed' dialog
window comes up, input the path as c:\i386. Then everything should be smooth.
Maybe you should input the path c:\i386 many times, as it the path will not be
remembered.

Hope it helps.
Songtao