[Fedora-xen] f7 trunk dom0 ifcfg startup creates 2 bridge no vlan int

Dale Bewley dlbewley at lib.ucdavis.edu
Mon Jun 25 17:29:52 UTC 2007

I'm trying to configure Fedora 7 to support a 802.1q trunk
in dom0 using
 https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2007-June/msg00008.html
and
 http://watzmann.net/blog/index.php/2007/04/27/networking_with_kvm_and_libvirt
for clues.

Since the network-bridge script doesn't seem capable of doing to VLAN work
and I prefer the normal OS scripts, I have the following in xend-config.sxp:
 (network-script /bin/true)
 (vif-script /bin/true)

It seems that the Fedora goal is to take the original name for an
interface, in this case eth0.6 and make that a bridge and move its
guts to something like peth0.6.
I don't wanna be deprecated so I tried to play along and setup
the ifcfg files like so:

    [root at helix network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0
    # Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet
    DEVICE=eth0
    MTU=1504
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    ONBOOT=yes

    [root at helix network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-vlan6br
    DEVICE=eth0.6
    TYPE=Bridge
    BOOTPROTO=static
    ONBOOT=yes
    IPADDR=19.27.25.134
    NETMASK=255.255.255.192
    NETWORK=19.27.25.128
    BROADCAST=19.27.25.191

    [root at helix network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-vlan6phy
    DEVICE=peth0.6
    BRIDGE=eth0.6
    VLAN=yes
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=none

But, this creates a bridge under both names and no vlan interface

[root at helix ~]# brctl show
eth0.6          8000.000000000000       no
peth0.6         8000.000000000000       no

[root at helix network-scripts]# ls /proc/net/vlan
ls: cannot access /proc/net/vlan: No such file or directory

I'll dissect the ifup scripts when I get a second, but am I swimming
upstream or just making a dumb mistake somewhere?

--
Dale Bewley - Unix Administrator - Shields Library - UC Davis
GPG: 0xB098A0F3 0D5A 9AEB 43F4 F84C 7EFD  1753 064D 2583 B098 A0F3