[Fedora-xen] Xen status for FC7

Mike mc-al34luc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 29 21:36:12 UTC 2007

Frank Morane wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just did a fresh install of FC7 to see if xen would work out of the box.
> Dom0 boots (with errors in the log - see below) and some Centos 4.4 domU
> boots but are unseable (after recompiling the initrd image with the xen
> driver preloaded) up to the famous long lasting error message "4gb seg
> fixup". At that point it is dead
>
> My question: what id the status of Xen for Fc7? Will it ever fly?
> Is there a Linux distro that works out of the box ?

Hmm. I'm running a F7 dom0 with the following domUs: NetBSD 3.1, FC6,
F7, and a very shaky Solaris 10 b44.

Xen 3.1 + F7 seems rock solid.

> The last usable version I saw was for FC5 as of May 2006, after that all
> version were badly broken and never fixed, I tested ALL of them for
> fc5/fc6 and not a single one worked as published. Only home brewed
> compiled version would work after weeks of trial and error.
>
> Here what the log says from my out of the box install:

Are you sure you're not missing the domU's console? I noticed that with
at least the FC6 and F7 domUs, the boot output starts on the serial
console, then transfers to the graphical console. I'm not familiar with
the Centos domU's behavior, but it might be something to check.