[Fedora-xen] Re: Xeon Core 5130 couldn't support full-virtualization?

Andrew Cathrow acathrow at redhat.com
Fri Mar 2 13:52:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 11:07 +0100, Jurgen Kramer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 14:42 +0800, Zhen Zhou wrote:
> > Hi, lists,
> > Now I dive the sea of xen, I took a Dell 2950 Server, install FC 6 i386 on it,
> > I refer some documents about Xen:
> > http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstartFC6
> > So i checked as following:
> > 1. check Intel VM for host CPU, it works, it showed me:
> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> > cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm
> > constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
>
> I think VMX is what you are looking for here.

Yep - you have vmx in the flags section of /proc/cpuinfo so you've got
the right cpu.
Running     xm dmesg | grep VMX  should confirm that Xen has picked up
the support from the hardware. (Note some platforms have a flag to
disabled this in the bios).

> > 2. check hvm-??, then I have no luck. even I enable virtualization in BIOS.
> >
> > so how could I enable fully-virtualizied  in this server? or should I
> > install x86_64 for it?
>
> If you are running 32-bit you should use the PAE kernel to be able to
> use the VMX feature (AFAIK).

All the FC6 xen (and RHEL5) kernels are PAE enabled.
You should be running the xen kernel.

As for 64bit or 32bit that's a longer discussion. One factor in your
decision is how much memory you have. x86_64 handles large memory
installations.

> > Because this server CPU is Intel Xeon Core 5130 serial.
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> >
> > Zhou Zhen
>
> Cheers,
> Jurgen