[Fedora-xen] Broadcast/multicast in guest domains

Bertho Stultiens bst at mobilethink.dk
Mon Mar 5 11:45:20 UTC 2007

Авраменко Андрей wrote:
> Could you please explain me how can I implement broadcast/multicast
> between guest domains?

For broadcast to work, you need to have all interfaces in the same
broadcast domain (i.e. there must be L2 connectivity between the
interfaces of the guests). That means that all guest interfaces must be
bridged together. This is the default afaik.

For multicast to work, you can choose two options:
1 - have the same condition as for broadcast;
2 - you need to set the TTL of the multicast packets higher than 1 so
that you can span a router and the router must be configured to forward
multicast.

For a local system, option 1 is by far the easiest to establish.

--
Greetings Bertho