[Fedora-xen] ssh to QEMU guest

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 17:44:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 05:38:25PM +0000, William John Murray wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 17:32 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 04:28:32PM +0000, William John Murray wrote:
> > > I assume this is the correct list for QEMU?
> > >
> > >   I would like to SSH to my QEMU quest (FC7 T2 host) and I cannot work
> > > out how to do it. I found some suggestions about TUN/TAP on WWW. Is that
> > > the correct lines?
> >
> > If you are using virt-manager to create QEMU instances, then we don't
> > currently support incoming networking. The networking is setup using
> > QEMU's SLIRP based network stack, which does NAT'd outbound connections
> > only. Having full incoming networking will require integration with the
> > host's networking stack - not possible for an unprivileged user at ths
> > time. I'll have to think if there is some way we can express the port
> > redirection that Mark suggests in libvirt/virt-manager in a sane way.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dan.
>   Oh, OK. That saves me some looking!
>       I can live without, I guess, but not running a gui in the host
> would save a lot of RAM.

There is no need to run a GUI on the host with or without direct guest SSH
access. The virtual console for Xen & QEMU guests is made available via a
VNC server listening on host's 127.0.0.1 address. So you can access the
virtual console from a remote host by tunnelling the appropriate VNC port
over SSH to the host. You can find the appropriate port by running

   virsh --connect qemu:///session dumpxml <guestname>  | grep vnc

Regards,
Dan.