[Fedora-xen] Problem about guest virtual machine creation

taoj2 at cs.rpi.edu taoj2 at cs.rpi.edu
Wed Mar 7 19:37:22 UTC 2007

HI,

I wanna to do some experiments about VM migration. Currently I focus on
the local migration which means migrating a domain from one VM to another
VM in the same host.

First, I create two guest VMs, XEN1 and XEN2, on the same host. Both of
guests use FC6 as the operating system. And I also selected the XEN
package when I customize the FC6 installation.

Then, I was trying to create another VM, XENX, which is inside XEN1. The
layering relationship is like this:

HOST[VM1[VMX],VM2]

The host includes two VMs, VM1 and VM2. And I wanted to create another VMX
inside the VM1. Since the operating system of VM1 is FC6 and XEN is an
built-in application of VM1 I thought I could create VMX successfully.
However it prompted:

"Unable to open a connection to the Xen Hypervisor/daemon

Verify that:
-A Xen host kernel was booted
-The Xen service has been started"

Is there anything wrong with what I have done? Or currently we are not
allowed to create a virtual machine inside another VM. The only possible
way to create guest VM is to create it inside a physical machine, not VM?

Could you please let me know if you have any idea about above problem?
Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Angel