[Fedora-xen] Kickstart slowness with virt-install

Hanks, Dan dhanks at corp.untd.com
Wed Mar 7 22:20:11 UTC 2007

I'm using files. I've been using a command-line such as this for the
install:

virt-install -m "00:16:3e:00:00:01" -n hostname -r 500 --vcpus=2 -f
/var/lib/xen/images/myhost.xen.img -s 4 --nographics -p -l
ftp://host/fc6/distro/i386/os -x "ks=http://kshost/ks.cfg"

Adding --nonsparse into the args looks like it fixes the speed issues
(albeit adds a bit of extra time right up front to allocate the entire
disk image). I imagine using partitions instead of files would be faster
altogether. I'll have to explore that option (files are just so nice to
ship around when needed).

The verbiage for the virt-install command-line args is (to me) a bit
confusing in this matter:

"-- nonsparse       Don't use sparse files for disks. Note that this
will be significantly slower for guest creation"

What does the "slower" here refer to? Slower up-front time to create the
image file? Yes, but the actual install will be faster since it wont
have to keep allocating more space for the disk image. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help--this was exactly the piece of information I
needed,

-- Dan