[Fedora-xen] Announcing virt-factory 0.0.1

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Mar 15 23:06:01 UTC 2007

Today we're pleased to announce the first public release of a new
systems management project -- virt-factory -- currently at bright, new,
and shiny version 0.0.1.    Virt-factory is a project that aims to
manage very large numbers of virtual machines in a very managable way.
As it's a very new project, there is a lot of room for developers who
are interested to get involved.
We want this to be very much a community project.   Check out the web
site at http://virt-factory.et.redhat.com for more info, and perhaps
also look at the Roadmap (http://et.redhat.com/page/VF_Roadmap) to see
where we'd like to take it.

===

 From the website:

Virt-Factory manages virtualized infrastructure:

  * it focuses on interacting with large numbers of virtual systems
    and on addressing some of the interaction problems that brings with it
  * it is primarily aimed at a fairly formal setting (data center),
    though we hope it is useful on smaller scales, too
  * even though it has some uses for bare-metal systems, it is first
    and foremost a tool for managing virtual systems, and future
    development will be much more focused on virtual systems than
    bare-metal systems

    Virt-Factory provides both a web UI, for ease of use, and an
    XMLRPC API, for scripting of admin actions.

    Virt-Factory is built on open-source projects including Cobbler
    http://cobbler.et.redhat.com, libvirt http://libvirt.org, and
    Puppet http://reductivelabs.com.

    Today, Virt-Factory provisions and manages hosts and guests, and
    addresses some of the problems specific to virtual systems: it creates
    complete host and guest images from metadata descriptions and
    centrally manages existing images.

    Future work will make it possible to abstract away individual
    hosts and place guests into a pool of equivalent hosts,
    simplifying the administrator's view of the data center for many
    tasks.

===