[Fedora-xen] some initial trouble

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 15:28:23 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:16:48AM -0400, Michael Weiner wrote:
> Xen readers -
>
> Been trying to get xen working on FC6 for some time now, and i am not sure
> what i am doing wrong - last time i played with xen it was v2 and didnt seem
> to be this difficult to get working. ANyway, thought i would see if there
> was a kind soul that could give me some guidance. I have a Fedora Core 6
> server running the latest kernel 2.6.19-1.2911.6.5 and xen 3.0.3-6 and i
> have a few dom's i grabbed from jailtime.org to play with (i.e. debian-3.1,
> centos-4.4, etc). I am specifically trying to get the debian dom running,
> here is the config:
>
> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6xen"
> memory = 128
> name = "debian.3-1"
> vif = ['']
> dhcp = "dhcp"
> disk = ['file:/xen/debian/debian.3-1.img,hda1,w',
> 'file:/xen/debian/debian.swap,hda2,w']
> root = "/dev/hda1 ro"

You've not provided any initrd. All Fedora kernels (both Xen & baremetal)
are fully modular, so you need to create a suitable initrd containing
whatever kernel modules you might need to boot with (eg the Xen drivers
for disk access). You'll also need to install the kernel inside the
guest FS so that any kernel modules needed later in boot process are
available. In general we recommend using the Xen kernel distributed by
the OS distributor themselves, rather than mixing & matching kernels
& OS images from different distributions.

> pretty generic, and when i go to fire it up with 'xen create
> debian-3.1.cfg-c' it starts up and runs for a few moments then dies,
> leaving the following
> in the log file:

The system logs generally don't contain any useful information relating
to Xen. You should instead look at the Xen logs - /var/log/xen/*

Regards,
Dan.