[fedora-xen] - Question on live migration

Davidson Rodrigues Paulo davidsonpaulo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 20:13:25 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm going to make a live migration of some Xen guests from a machine
to another. At the moment I'm preparing both systems, syncing software
versions, while I read some documentation about the live migration
process.

The process looks simple, but I'm still have only one question. Let me explain:

I have a guest on my Xen host 1 that have 3 virtual partitions that
are mapped to 3 logical volumes of the host, as follows:

Guest virtual partition       Guest mount point        Host physical partition
/dev/sda1                       /
/dev/xenvg/apache-root
/dev/sda2                       swap
/dev/xenvg/apache-swap
/dev/sda3                       /var
/dev/xenvg/apache-var

On the Xen host 2, I created the same physical partitions existing on
Xen host 1, with same name and locations.

So, at the moment I think my next steps are:

1. Copy the config file for the guest from Xen host 1 to Xen host 2
2. Execute on Xen host 1:
    # xm migrate --live guest host2

Is that right or is something missing?

Note.: I read many docs, and all they say that I need to make image
files available on both Xen hosts. But I'm not using image files, but
logical volumes...

Thanks,

Davidson Paulo