[Fedora-xen] resizing Xen para-virtualized guest partition

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 7 23:55:05 UTC 2007

runmd wrote:
> I would like to know if it is possible to resizing Xen para-virtualized
> guest partition.  For example,
>
> I created a para-virtualized guest as 10GB.  Later down the road I would
> like to grow it to 20GB.   Can I do this with it being just a file on Dom0.
> The only possible solution I can think of is creating a new domU as 20GB
> and
> then doing a dd command and copying one virutal disk to another.  But I
> would like to just grow the guest, if possible.

Ignoring LVM (which might make things different), you can enlarge the
underlying file with a careful incantation of dd. Practice elsewhere
first, and/or back it up.
Something like this, but do read the docs:

dd of=whatsit skip=<biggernumber> count=0

Then do whatever you do to fix a real disk after using dd to copy disk
to bigger disk.

btw You can create sparse files in the first place:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/ext-fs seek=$((4*1024*1024)) count=0
mke2fs -F -q /tmp/ext-fs

then
ls -Slosh /tmp/ext-fs

--