[Fedora-xen] Is xen ready for HVM?

Thomas Kocourek tkocou at gmail.com
Mon May 28 15:10:00 UTC 2007

I've been attempting to get a VM to boot via a floppy. I have tried all
sorts of parameter massages between create/shutdown of a full virtualization
domain. qemu-dm is running. When I look at the details of the virtual
machine, the disk/cdrom/floppy appear to be mapped correctly. I tried
shutting off SELinux to see if that might be interfering with the boot up.
Made no difference, so I re-activated it.

I end up with one of two scenarios: either the VM freezes after throwing up
the splash screen (pure floppy boot), or the VM boots from a CDRom, but
fails to be recognized as a CDRom once the boot up is completed. Strange how
a stripped down QEMU (qemu-dm) won't do the hardware management correctly,
yet a pure QEMU will.

guest OS: Windows 98 SE

IS there a chance that the hypervisor security is interfering with the HVM?
A pure QEMU VM is such a resource hog and I wanted to try xen to see if the
situation was any better. I have certain software which requires this older
Windows to function.

Comments?