[Fedora-xen] Upgrading base Fedora installation with xen

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 21:28:37 UTC 2007

On 06/11/2007, Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net> wrote:

> I'm wondering if it would be possible to upgrade from one
> version of Fedora to another newer version using xen,
> without any down-time, apart from rebooting the machine to
> activate the new installation?

I'm not a Fedora expert (I'm from the Debian camp, where such a question is
irrelevant :^), but I'm not sure that you need Xen to do this.

Instead, I'd look around for:

1. "yum --installroot...". That's how I got a 64-bit Centos 4.4 running
under Xen under Debian. See
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Centos4Yuminstallation

2. If jailtime.org has the version you want then download the image from
there, dump it on an LVM volume using "dd", mount it and tweak it to boot
with the programs you want. You might be able to test it using Xen (or
Qemu?) before trying to boot it normally.

The idea is that you don't have to hassle with setting up Xen just to get
the installation process running - there could be simpler ways to get the
basic file system layout on your disk.

Cheers,

--Amos