[Fedora-xen] Newbie Virt Questions and comments on wiki/Docs/Fedora8VirtQuickStart

Aaron Metzger ametzger at silkspeed.com
Wed Nov 7 13:29:37 UTC 2007

I am trying to migrate my virtualization infrastructure from a pure Xen
implementation to the more versatile Fedora virt-manager Xen/KVM
environment.  While doing this, I have hit some snags related to areas
in which pure Xen documentation no longer applies due to the presence of
lib-virt et al.

First a minor comment on the Fedora8VirtQuickStart (draft I know):

The section:

> Building a Fedora Guest System using `virt-manager`

no longer applies because between Fedora 7 and Fedora 8 there no longer
appears to be a "New" button or a "File New" option in virt-manager.  It
would appear that the only way to create a DomU is by way of virt-install.

Now, my problem.

I have successfully created fully functional guest VMs which work
perfectly in every way but, in the context of lib-virt and virsh, I can
not figure out how to get the guest machines to be started automatically
when the host machine boots.  In a pure Xen environment, you
symbolically link the "/etc/xen/<vm-config>" file into "/etc/xen/auto".
  After using virt-install to create the guest, the domain configuration
files end up over in "/var/lib/xend/domains".  I have tried to
symbolically link the whole domain directory to "/etc/xen/auto", I have
tried to link the configuration file to "/etc/xen/auto".  I have tried
to export the configuration as XML using virsh and then put that under
"/etc/xen/auto".  Nothing works and there is no indication from the
xend.log that it is even trying to start the guest domains on bootup.

I also tried to use:

   virsh autostart <domain>

and get the error:

   libvir:  error : this function is not supported by the hypervisor:
virDomainSetAutostart

So, my question is, is it possible to properly manage the start up and
shut down of guest domains on host start up and shutdown or is that just
not supported yet.

If there is a way to do this, it would be a very helpful section to add
to the Quick Start document because I would expect anyone migrating from
a pure Xen environment to have the same issue.  Google reveals that
several have asked this question in the past on Fedora 7 etc and I have
not seen any answer other than people suggesting to link the
configuration file under "/etc/xen/auto".

Thanks,
Aaron