[Fedora-xen] Newbie Virt Questions and comments on wiki/Docs/Fedora8VirtQuickStart

Aaron Metzger ametzger at silkspeed.com
Wed Nov 7 15:38:02 UTC 2007

yonas Abraham wrote:

>> So, my question is, is it possible to properly manage the start up and
>> shut down of guest domains on host start up and shutdown or is that just
>> not supported yet.
>>
>> If there is a way to do this, it would be a very helpful section to add
>> to the Quick Start document because I would expect anyone migrating from
>> a pure Xen environment to have the same issue.  Google reveals that
>> several have asked this question in the past on Fedora 7 etc and I have
>> not seen any answer other than people suggesting to link the
>> configuration file under "/etc/xen/auto".
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Aaron
>

> I am in same boat as you. I want to know how to atuo start an image in
> F7 or F8. I have seen this question asked several times and I have
> seen no answer. May be it is not posible to do it.

I think I have it figured out!

Edit your "/var/lib/xend/domains/<domain-uuid>/config.sxp" file.
Look for the lines containing

(on_xend_start ignore)
(on_xend_stp ignore)

and change them to be

(on_xend_start start)
(on_xend_stop shutdown)

This will restart the domain when the xend daemon starts.

Mine still fails for the case where I "reboot" the host instead of
shutdown, powerup because it seems like it can not restart from the
virtual machine image saved in "/var/lib/xen/save".  I tried to post a
log file with that failure to this list but it looks like the e-mail was
to large to post or something because it hasn't shown up in this list yet.

At least now I have a solution which will work when my UPS shuts down
the server during a power outage.

--
Aaron