[Fedora-xen] Fedora's Xen Compared to XenExpress

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 11:50:32 UTC 2007

thewird wrote:
> --- "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Mathew Brown wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>   I was wondering what the differences between Fedora 8's Xen and
>>>   XenExpress v4 are (besides the limits of 4GB or RAM and four
>> virtual
>>>   hosts).  Is the functionality and stability the same or is
>> Fedora's
>>>   Xen more cutting-edge?  Thank you for your help.
>> I'm not very familiar with XenExpress, but I'm fairly sure that the
>> management software used by XE is some proprietary code.  Fedora uses
>>
>> libvirt and virt-manager for management, has no artificial
>> limitations
>> on memory, CPUs, guests etc., and is completely open source.
>
> Does Fedora 8 have any way to limit the network speed on the guests?

I assume, though I've not tried it, that you should be able to use
ordinary Linux mechanisms such as the 'tc(8)' command to enforce a
traffic control and shaping on the vifX.0 devices.

To be honest, it's a bit of an unusual request: mostly people complain
about not getting enough network performance :-)

Rich.