[Fedora-xen] Newbie Virt Questions and comments on wiki/Docs/Fedora8VirtQuickStart

Sam Folk-Williams samfw at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 16:01:14 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> Sam Folk-Williams wrote:
>> Aaron Metzger wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to migrate my virtualization infrastructure from a pure
>>> Xen implementation to the more versatile Fedora virt-manager Xen/KVM
>>> environment.  While doing this, I have hit some snags related to
>>> areas in which pure Xen documentation no longer applies due to the
>>> presence of lib-virt et al.
>>>
>>> First a minor comment on the Fedora8VirtQuickStart (draft I know):
>>>
>>> The section:

>>> no longer applies because between Fedora 7 and Fedora 8 there no
>>> longer appears to be a "New" button or a "File New" option in
>>> virt-manager.  It would appear that the only way to create a DomU is
>>> by way of virt-install.
>>>

>> The doc needs updating. I did some updating this weekend. The button
>> is not as obvious now but it is still there (you have to right-click
>> on the hypervisor to see the "New" option. I'm not sure why this
>> changed, but I have updated that bit.
>
> That's bizarre. According to the web site, you employed "UI Interface
> Designers."
>
> I think you need new designers, that's far from intuitive.

Lucky for us they are happy to take suggestions and improve!

Figured this out - They had to remove the global new button, because the
UI now allows multiple hypervisor connections. So you need to be able to
have a new button that is linked to a specific connection. The button is
now there for each hypervisor on the right side. I didn't see the button
before. If you right-click, that's a second way to access it. I don't
think it will be too hard to make the button more obvious.

-Sam